Thursday, July 16, 2009
Saturday, July 04, 2009
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Extraordinary Ceilings by Gina Wolfrum
We are excited to announce that Gina Wolfrum from Elegant finishes will be debuting her amazing ceiling finishes at Faux Assured Studio this October 2009!
Look for details to come soon on this amazing class! Not only will you do "mini-mock" ceiling finishes on rolled up canvas, but you will also do an actual modello application on a real ceiling! There's nothing like real time application to set you on your way to the most Elegant ceiling finishes created in the business!!!
Monday, April 20, 2009
Advanced Level Training, 3 days
"Modern World Finishes" by Mindy Harrell
This is a 3 day class designed to build upon your existing skills and expand your knowledge of product usage, design concepts, and "art inspired" techniques. You will learn how to embellish your work and use multi-medium mixing to maximize the creative process. More artistic freedom is encouraged in this class to give your portfolio customization and assist in promoting your "inner Andy Warhol." Mindy will show you what it takes to create sleek, modern day representations in a way that it becomes a piece of "artwork" in itself! Mindy is well known for pulling many "tricks" out of her creative bag and she will share these tips so that you too can make money with your finishes. An added bonus to this class is leaving with a custom piece of art work created by... YOU!
On top of it all, you will leave with a comprehensive technical binder detailing the finishes taught for your reference. You will leave with 15+ samples utilizing the favorites from the silver and gold label line by Faux Effects International!
Friday, March 27, 2009
A “Real” Working Retreat
Experience a new way of learning the decorative arts, mixed with fun, relaxation, and a beautiful setting in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. Faux Retreat was created for artisans like you to learn and share your craft in a unique environment that will recharge you both physically and creatively.
The Spring Faux Retreat will be held on May 4-8, 2009 (a fall retreat is also being planned for late September) at a secluded site surrounded by 170 acres of woods and a private lake near Spooner, Wisconsin. While communing with nature, you’ll have the opportunity to learn from two of the industry’s most creative and innovative instructors:
• Kathy Carroll, owner of the Chicago Institute of Fine Finishes and Faux by Kathy, will bring inspiration, motivation, and a fresh approach to the endless possibilities of 10 different finishes. You’ll leave with a class book complete with all your recipes, product sheets, and information that will become a lifelong resource. Products used will be from a variety of manufacturers, including: Golden Proceed Line, Bella Product Line, Blue Pearl and Perfetto, Oikos, Modern Masters, Adicolor, and Briste Group.
• Mindy Harrell, owner of Murals by Mindy and Faux Assured Studio, will lead a course in “Modern World Finishes” that is designed to build upon your existing skills and expand your knowledge of product usage, design concepts, and "art-inspired" techniques. You’ll learn how to embellish your work and use multi-medium mixing to maximize the creative process. Plus, you’ll leave with a comprehensive technical binder detailing the finishes and 10 samples utilizing favorites from the silver and gold label line by Faux Effects International.
“Faux Retreats are designed to reflect the style of the traditional atelier of old European painters where students lived together sharing the expertise of an artist while experiencing a connection and unique form of guidance,” explains Kathy Boyd, creator of Faux Retreats.
Your five-day Faux Retreat will include:
* Welcome reception and dinner
* Communal style accommodations (limited private or semi-private rooms available for an additional fee)
* Daily continental breakfast, daily lunch, and dinner served 3 nights
* 4 days of hands-on instruction – 2 days with each instructor
* Snacks and beverages available throughout the day
* Evening guest speaker
* Late night challenge/painting party
* Firepit discussion: Getting, maintaining, and marketing a Web presence with Kathy Boyd
* On-site extras may include yoga, massage, product demos, etc.
* Use of lake, boats, and other amenities (sauna, Jacuzzi, etc.) on the property
* Free time to explore the town on your own
* This all-inclusive retreat is priced at just $1,895 – comparable to other classes that do not include the costs of accommodations, meals, and other activities. Retreat size is limited, so make your reservations today. Early bird special: Register by March 14 for $100 off!
For more information or to download a reservation form, visit http://www.fauxretreat.com/. You can also call 218-940-3095 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Monday, June 09, 2008
Friday, June 06, 2008
Monday, December 10, 2007
Monday, August 27, 2007
Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Friday, May 18, 2007
Sunday, June 04, 2006
Saturday, May 20, 2006
This dresser was done originally in a pickle finish. Which in this case was the natural pine with a white/milkish glaze painted over the wood.
We added the scrolls, painted, distressed and stained the edges in a cherry finish. The top was completed with venetian gem and then stained as well.
Saturday, May 13, 2006
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
This ceiling was a lot of fun...well not really. My neck was sore for a few days, but once we put everything back in order I loved the end result. The brick was not made to look perfect; more so old and crumbly and very irregular.
oops! I just realized we didn't put the light switch cover back on before the photograph. I hate when that happens!
You can click on the picture for a close up!
This was a great little muraling job! I absolutely am fond of trees; especially aspens. Aspens are so unique with all their peeled bark and color variations. Luckily for me, I am located in a Region full of Aspens and people who want them painted in their homes/business.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
The "Barn" is a new addition to a home where it will serve as an entertainment room. The outside structure looks just like an old barn (made with real barn wood) and the inside was finished out with drywall. The client wanted the inside to replicate old stone walls with lichen, drips the whole nine yards. Here is a close up of the finish with more pics to come. What a labor intensive finish, but well worth the outcome. On 700sq ft. of space it took us 7 days to complete.